Monday, January 13, 2014

Welcome 2014: Gluten Free Banana Blueberry Muffins

Happy 2014 to all my readers.

I know, it's the 13th, but life has been a little bit busy since I got home from my family vacation. I have baked and cooked a lot of lovely goodies this Christmas season. I made these delicious molasses cookies, homemade apple butter and blackberry jam, and gluten free banana blueberry muffins. 
I will be sharing my tips for canning on Tuesday, and I will give the recipe for the molasses cookies on Wednesday. This post is going to discuss the gluten free banana blueberry muffins. 
My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both gluten free. After realizing my allergy to milk this last year, I feel a passion to create delicious tasting baked goods that people with allergies can enjoy. With my experience in eating gluten free baked goods, they are sometimes hard, or have an interesting after taste. There is usually a lack of moistness to them. 
During the New Year, my mother-in-law asked me to make muffins for our Christmas/ New Year brunch that we were going to have with her side of the family. The challenge was to make them gluten free, and taste good. 
I search for recipes for days, writing down ones I thought might taste good, or had interesting flour substitutes. I then came across this gluten free blueberry muffin recipe that looked pretty darn good; http://thelittlewhitekitchen.com/?p=238
I tweaked it a little by adding cinnamon, nutmeg, bananas, and using brown sugar, but they came out tasting really good. I was getting a lot of compliments on how good they tasted. Frankly, I think they would taste even better if you put some butter on top and heated it up in the microwave, so that the butter could make the batter even more moist. 
What did I learn, you may ask? That all my college experience was right. Do your research and then take what you learned, and what you already know to make something unique. 
I encourage you to do the same.


Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment