Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Canning

This Christmas I made homemade apple butter (crock-pot style), and homemade blueberry jam (from the berries my husband and I picked this summer). There was a bit of a spice to the apple butter, and a little tang to the jam, but both were yummy. 

But we are not here to talk about the delicious contents that are in the jar, we are talking about the jar itself. 

Step 1) Prepare the Jar. In canning pot (or big pot) fill it with water. Have the water come to a boil. Place the Jar and lid in the water (carefully). Have it boil for 5 to 20 minutes (I usually have it just sit until I am ready to fill the jars). 
Step 2) Fill the Jars. Fill as much as possible. Wipe the outside and rim of the jar clean. 
Step 3) Preserve it. Gently put the jar back in the boiling water and have it boil for 20 minutes. If the middle of the top is able to move, the jar is not sealed, and therefore not okay to eat. 

Kirsten 

No comments:

Post a Comment